Information Science & Engineering -> Overview
Information science is an interdisciplinary field primarily concerned with the analysis, collection, classification, manipulation, storage, retrieval, movement, dissemination, and protection of information. Information science is one of the important branches of PESCE, Mandya. The Department of Information science and Engineering takes pride in producing quality engineers over the past 21 years. The credit for all the flowery results goes to the highly motivating staff, from which all students draw inspiration.
The Department was started in the year 2000. The present intake of the undergraduate program is 60. The strength of an IS major lies in his/her ability to apply the knowledge of information systems and technology to help organizations compete more successfully in the marketplace or to streamline current operations. The focus of the department is to provide students with in-depth knowledge in the field of computer and information technology through the following two academic programs. This undergraduate curriculum emphasizes on theoretical and practical aspects of information science. The curriculum is designed to meet industry standard and cope with the fast changing technology. Extension lectures and industrial visits are organized frequently to provide an overview on recent and current trends of information technology. Apart from curriculum, the students are encouraged to participate in research projects, technical events, cultural activities and sports. The department has a strong coverage of alumni network to support curriculum development and career guidance for ongoing student batches. Our department faculty remains a constant source of inspiration to students in order to achieve outstanding results and excellent placement records.
The department has achieved good Placement, conducted International /National Conferences and other sponsored short-term courses, National seminars and symposia. Students from the department are recruited by top IT companies. The presence of our alumni at various organizations and reputed universities across the globe has helped our graduates to plan their future endeavors.
Academic programs offered:
Bachelor of Engineering (B.E.) in Information Science and Engineering (IS&E) with approved intake of 60 students and a lateral entry of 10% from 2nd year.
"The department strives to equip our graduates with Knowledge and Skills to contribute significantly to Information Science & Engineering and enhance quality research for the benefit of society."
The Department of Information Science & Engineering is committed to
- Provide students with state of art facilities and tools of Information Science & Engineering to become productive, global citizens and life-long learners.
- Prepare students for careers in IT industry, Higher education and Research.
- Inculcate leadership qualities among students to make them competent Information Science & Engineering professionals or entrepreneurs.
Program Educational Objectives (PEOs)
Graduates of the program will be able to
- Establish a productive Information Science & Engineering career in industry, government or academia.
- Interact with their peers in other disciplines by exhibiting professionalism and team work to contribute to the economic growth of the country.
- Promote the development of innovative systems and solutions to the problems in Information Science using hardware and software integration.
- Pursue higher studies in Engineering, Management or Research.
Program Outcomes (POs)
Engineering Graduates will be able to
- Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
- Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
- Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
- The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
- Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
- Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one's own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
- Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Program Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
Information Science & Engineering Graduates will be able to
- Analyze, design, develop and test the principles of System software and Database concepts for computer-based systems.
- Develop computer communication systems and applications for Information security.
- Apply the knowledge of Information Science and Engineering to solve any software and hardware related problems and to organize, manage and monitor IT Infrastructure.